Rivet: The Journal of Writing That Risks publishes new literary work that breaks from the confines of mainstream realism to surprise, delight, and challenge readers.
We seek writing that crosses boundaries of form, content, and style — either subtly or radically. Send us works of fiction, poetry, and nonfiction that are too fabulist, surrealist, or experimental for traditional publishers. We are glad to consider work that uses genre elements in interesting ways (e.g. an urban noir fairy tale), but we are not looking for work that is primarily aimed at a genre audience (e.g. high fantasy or hard science fiction). To get a feel for the range of writing that interests us, check out the anthology Writing That Risks: New Work from Beyond the Mainstream.
Also, our poetry editors were interviewed by The Review Review. Read Approaching the Ordinary in Extraordinary Ways to learn more about what they like to see in poetry submissions.
- All submissions must be previously unpublished in print or electronically. Author must be the sole rights holder of the submission.
- One submission per person, per cycle. (Please wait till you’ve heard a response before sending a new submission.)
- Simultaneous submissions are OK as long as you notify us right away if the work is accepted elsewhere.
- Documents should be formatted for readability.
- Please include a brief cover letter and bio with your submission.
- Fiction: Submit one short story or up to 5 pieces of flash fiction in one document. Length of each piece should be between 15 and 15,000 words, give or take.
- Poetry: Submit up to 5 poems in one document. Each poem should be long enough to engage, short enough to not require its own chapbook.For more on what our poetry editors are looking for, read this interview.
- Nonfiction: Submit one essay or up to 5 short related pieces. Length guidelines are the same as those for fiction. Topic is wide open. Surprise us.
- Hybrid: Is your work hard to label? Yay! Just use the guidelines above that match most closely.
- Translations are welcome. Follow the guidelines for whichever category above matches the work, and tell us about the original work in the cover letter.
- Reviews & Interviews: We publish book reviews and interviews on our blog. We’re interested in articles that focus on people, books, art, movies, and music that buck the status quo and inspire experimentation.
- Visual, Multimedia, Hybrid Art: Yes. Just Yes.
Permissions and Payment:
- Authors retain copyright over their work. Authors give Rivet the right to publish the work on the Rivet website; this right is exclusive for 6 months from the date of publication. Thereafter, the author is welcome to reprint the work elsewhere.
- Rivet pays $25 per author per issue, regardless of genre, length or number of pieces. (These rates are valid for 2017 and may change.)
Rivet is published three times per year.
Please send your submission to Rivet via the Red Bridge Press portal on Submittable. We look forward to reading your work!
Join our community
Support the mission
Get the book
Writing That Risks: New Work from Beyond the Mainstream
The anthology that started it all. Available in trade paperback and ebook from most online retailers, including: